Newport Transporter Bridge Construction of the West bank cable anchorage in 1902

Transporter Bridge

The remarkable Newport Transporter Bridge is one of only six operational transporter bridges left world wide from a total of twenty constructed.

The bridge opened in 1906 and has dominated the Newport skyline ever since.

A transporter bridge is basically a suspended ferry that can operate more efficiently than a conventional ferry.

A high level boom that allows ships to pass underneath is suspended from towers at each end.

The boom carries a rail track on which a moving carriage or ‘traveller’ runs.

A gondola or platform is suspended from the carriage and can be pulled from one side of the river to the other by means of a hauling cable.

The Transporter Bridge is powered by twin 35 horse power electric motors.

Although an ‘aerial ferry’ was the idea of English engineer Charles Smith, the first working example was built by Spaniard Alberto Palacio and Frenchman Ferdinand Arnodin in 1893 at Portugalete near Bilbao in Spain.

Why a transporter bridge?

In 1900 Newport was a very busy port, much of it centred up river from where the Transporter Bridge now stands.

Industry was expanding on the east side of the river which, for the population largely based on the west side, meant a 4 mile walk to cross the river by the town bridge to get to work.

A ferry operated but the ever changing times of the tide and its extreme rise and fall meant this was not a practical method of crossing for work - there had also been a number of fatal accidents.

The Borough Engineer, Robert Haynes, had heard of the new innovative bridges being built on the continent and encouraged the council to visit the newly built transporter bridge at Rouen in France.

A transporter bridge offered an economical solution as tunnelling was technically difficult and expensive and a conventional bridge required a very long approach ramp to gain enough height to maintain a waterway for the tall ships of the day.

Building

Parliamentary approval to build the bridge was sought and secured in 1900 and work began in 1902.

Haynes and Arnodin were appointed joint engineers and the contract to build the bridge was given to Alfred Thorne of Westminster.

The bridge cost £98,000 to complete and was opened on September 12 1906 by Lord Tredegar of Tredegar House.

Newport Transporter Bridge Facts and Figures

Main span

645 feet

197 metres

Distance between the surface of the waters

592 feet

180 metres

Height at full tide to the bottom of the transverse cable

177 feet

54 metres

Height of the top of the tower from the water level mark

242 feet

74 metres

Distance from the anchor to the tower

450 feet

137 metres

Total distance between the eastern and western anchors

1545 feet

471 metres

Weight of steel in each tower

277 tonnes

282 metric tonnes

Weight of steel in the main transverse cable

539 tonnes

548 metric tonnes

Weight of the chain

16 tonnes

16 metric tonnes

Weight of the gondola and suspension-cables

35 tonnes

36 metric tonnes

Diameter of the main suspension-cables

3 inches

75 millimetres

Total weight of the suspension-cables

196 tonnes

199 metric tonnes

Weight of each ashlar anchor

2200 tonnes

2236 metric tonnes

Tower foundations

Caisson diameter

20 feet

6 metre

Depth of eastern shore

86 feet

26 metres

Depth of western shore

78 feet

24 metres

Gondola speed

10 feet per second

3 metres per second

Power

Direct electrical current

 

Motors

2 (35 horsepower each)

 

Content ID: CONT677359