If you are concerned about a lit bonfire being out of control or in a dangerous place please call the 999 and ask for the fire service.
If you are concerned about unlit bonfires on open council land, parks and playing fields, report them to the council so they can be inspected and removed if they are considered to be dangerous.
- Advise your neighbours before lighting a bonfire as a courtesy
- Ensure that only dry material is burnt
- Do not burn household rubbish, rubber tyres or anything containing plastic, foam or paint
- Do not use old engine oil, methylated spirits or petrol to light or encourage the fire
- Avoid lighting a fire in unsuitable weather conditions – smoke hangs in the air on damp still days and in the evening. If it is windy, smoke may be blown into a neighbour’s garden or across roads
- Avoid lighting a bonfire at weekends and on Bank Holidays when people want to enjoy their gardens
Contact Newport City Council