Children can start school in the September following their fourth birthday.
Parents are able to delay the admission of their child until the term following their fifth birthday and the place will be held for the child.
Parents are not able to delay entry beyond the beginning of the term after the child’s fifth birthday, or beyond the school year for which the application was made.
Before deciding whether to defer your child’s entry to school, you should contact your preferred school(s) to clarify how they cater for the youngest children in Reception and how the needs of these children are met as they move up through the school.
Applications for September 2017
The closing date for 2017 reception applications was 13 January 2017 and decisions were issued 31 March 2017.
View the current summary of allocated reception places (pdf)
Make a late application by downloading the September 2017 reception admission form (pdf)
You should contact voluntary aided (faith) schools directly for an application form.
Key dates for September 2018 reception admission
- Applications can be made from 1 November 2017
- The closing date for applications is 12 January 2018
- Decisions will be issued 16 April 2018
Attendance at a school’s nursery is not taken into consideration and does not guarantee a reception place or give any priority to your child when making your application.
Where there are more applications for a particular school than there are places available, the following oversubscription criteria will be applied to decide which children should be admitted.
Oversubscription criteria for admission to primary school
Where a school is named in a statement of Special Educational Needs, we have a duty to admit the child to the named setting before the over-subscription criteria is applied against applications received.
This will reduce the amount of places available to other applicants.
If the total number of preferences for admission to a school exceeds the number of places, the following order of priority will be applied to allocate the available places:
- Looked-after children (children in public care) and previously looked-after children
- Pupils living within the catchment area and making an application on medical grounds or placed on the Child Protection Register and recommended by social services
- Pupils living within the catchment area but with relevant siblings
- Pupils living within the catchment area
- Pupils living outside the catchment area and making an application on medical grounds or placed on the Child Protection Register and recommended by social services
- Pupils living outside the catchment area but with relevant siblings
- Pupils living outside the catchment area.
After considering the above categories, or if the number of applications in any one of the above categories exceeds the published admission number, priority will be based on those living closest to the preferred school.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (01633) 656656