Children can start school in the September following their fourth birthday.
Parents are able to delay admission until the term following their child's fifth birthday and the place will be held.
Entry cannot be delayed beyond the beginning of the term after the child’s fifth birthday, or beyond the school year for which the application was made.
Before deciding whether to defer your child’s entry to school, you should contact your preferred school(s) to clarify how they cater for the youngest children in Reception and how the needs of these children are met as they move up through the school.
Reception applications for September 2019
The closing date for applications was 14 January 2019 and decisions will be issued 16 April 2019 for on-time applications.
Make a late application by downloading a September 2019 reception application form (pdf)
Download the school admissions policy 2019/2020 (pdf)
Children currently in a Newport community nursery school should have received a letter explaining the application process.
Free internet access is available at Newport Libraries if you don't have access at home.
Read about and make an in-year application outside the normal admissions round.
Oversubscription criteria for admission to primary school
Where there are more applications for a particular school than there are places available, the following oversubscription criteria will be applied to decide which children should be admitted.
Where a school is named in a statement of Special Educational Needs, we have a duty to admit the child to the named setting before the over-subscription criteria is applied against applications received.
This will reduce the number of places available to other applicants.
If the total number of preferences for admission to a school exceeds the number of places, the following order of priority will be applied to allocate the available places:
- Looked-after children (children in public care) and previously looked-after children
- Pupils living within the catchment area and making an application on medical grounds or placed on the Child Protection Register and recommended by social services
- Pupils living within the catchment area but with relevant siblings
- Pupils living within the catchment area
- Pupils living outside the catchment area and making an application on medical grounds or placed on the Child Protection Register and recommended by social services
- Pupils living outside the catchment area but with relevant siblings
- Pupils living outside the catchment area.
After considering the above categories, or if the number of applications in any one of the above categories exceeds the published admission number, priority will be based on those living closest to the preferred school.
Email email@example.com or telephone (01633) 656656