Housing grants

Although Newport City Council does not provide renovation or repair grants we will support home-owners who are able to fund works independently and can offer advice including a list of approved contractors. 

Read about the safety at home grant scheme

Disabled facilities grant

If you or someone living in your property is disabled you may qualify for a disabled facilities grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home so that the disabled person can live more independently. 

The mandatory disabled facilities grant provides essential adaptations to give disabled people better freedom of movement in and around the home e.g. widening doors, installing ramps, stairlift installation, improving toilet and washing facilities, improving home safety, heating systems and heating or lighting controls.  

The grants are means tested and are available to owner-occupiers and private tenants.

Read about the disabled facilities grant on the Welsh Governent site


Disabled facilities grants are available to owner-occupiers and private rented tenants.

Where the disabled person is not the owner or tenant, for example a child or other relative living in the property as their main residence, an application can be made by the householder.

Newport City Council must be satisfied that the proposed works are necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the disabled person and are reasonable and practicable given the age and condition of the property.

A disabled facilities grant may be refused if the council believes the scheme is not reasonable and practicable.

Download the disabled facilities grant guidance notes (pdf) 

Grant applications for adults are means tested to find out how much the applicant will have to contribute towards the cost of the work.

There is no means test if an application is for a disabled child under the age of 16 or for a dependant young person under the age of 20 who is eligible for child benefit.  

The means test calculates average weekly income, taking account of any savings above a certain limit and ignoring certain benefits. 

This is set against an assessment of basic needs to reflect outgoings.

The amount of grant awarded is the difference between the cost of the work and the applicant’s means tested contribution.

The maximum grant that can be paid is £36,000 and is subject to certain grant conditions.


The council will assess whether you are eligible to apply for a disabled facilities grant taking into account your financial circumstances and your need for adaptations.

Download a disabled facilities grant enquiry form (pdf)

A preliminary means test based on the information in your grant enquiry form will help us to tell you about any contribution you may have to make. 

A needs assessment will be carried out by an occupational therapist who will make recommendations for any works considered essential. 

Newport Care and Repair

Newport City Council works with Newport Care and Repair, a home improvement agency which provides a low-cost handyperson service for people over the age of 65 living in their own homes, an adaptations programme for people coming out of hospital or at risk of admission and help and advice.


Email housing.improvements@newport.gov.uk or contact Newport City Council and ask for the private sector housing team.