Planning an event

As an event organiser you may be legally responsible for the safety of everyone attending an event.

How we can help

Newport Event Safety Advisory Group (SAG) is an advisory group whose members include Newport City Council, Gwent Police, South Wales Fire and Rescue and the Welsh Ambulance Service.

The purpose of the group is to discuss the public safety issues relating to an event.

The group has no legal powers, as an advisory group it cannot give consent or approval for an event to take place but will advise the event organiser on public safety issues which may need to be addressed.

You should contact Newport Event SAG if any of the following apply to your event:  

  • it is held outdoors with large crowds, i.e. public entertainment, large number of vehicle movements, fireworks or bonfire, festivals, celebrity, VIP etc.
  • it is a major sporting event - first time or routine sporting fixtures
  • it is an indoor event with large crowds of a particular type, popular music events, political or religious gatherings
  • it is a city centre event
  • it is a march or parade, cycling or running event
  • it is a street party
  • it is a community fete

SAG notification forms should be submitted at least 8 weeks before your event. 

Download the SAG Event Notification form (Word)

Download the SAG Event Notification form (PDF)

Please email the completed notification form and any associated documents to

If you are unsure whether you need to complete a full SAG Notification form please complete our online event enquiry questionnaire which will advise if a full notification form should be completed.

Event organisers should be aware that certain permissions may be required if, for example, you intend to sell alcohol or provide regulated entertainment or if your event requires road closures.


If an event requires a Premises Licence or Temporary Events Notice contact our licensing team for advice in the early stages of planning. 

Road closures

Some events, e.g. running or cycling events, street parties or food festivals, may require local roads to be closed to traffic.

You will need to make an application for a road closure notice at least eight weeks before the event, there is no charge to apply:

Apply to close a section of road for a community event (pdf) 

Visit the Street Party site for further information.

Sky lanterns

Sky lanterns, sometimes called Chinese lanterns, may not be launched from land owned by Newport City Council or used at events licensed, sponsored or supported by the council.

The lanterns have potentially devastating consequences for people, buildings and animals and are a fire hazard.


Further information on event safety

The Health and Safety Executive provides guidance on managing events safely and many of their guides are free to download.


Email Newport Event SAG at