European passport return service
The European passport return service (EPRS) allows EEA and Swiss nationals to keep their passport while their online application for a registration certificate or document certifying permanent residence is being processed.
EPRS allows you to request Newport Register Office to photocopy your European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss passport and send a copy to the Home Office.
You can only use this service if you have made an online application for a registration certificate or a document certifying permanent residence using an EEA or Swiss passport - you will not be able to use a national identity card.
The service is available 9.30am to 12pm, Monday to Friday at Newport Register Office - no appointment is necessary but please telephone (01633) 235520 before you visit.
You must have completed the online application process and bring your supporting documents with you.
Visit UK Visas and Immigration for further information.
Email E-Support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk to apply online.
Once the online application has been completed you will be given a reference number which you must bring with you together with:
- A printed copy of the application form
- The document checklist
- Your valid European passport - do not bring your ID card
- Two passport photos
- Evidence of employment, e.g. employer’s letter, wage slips, bank statements showing receipt of wages, P60s.
- Proof of residence in the UK for relevant period, e.g. utility or council tax bills, bank statements, NHS (or equivalent) letters, mortgage or tenancy agreements
- The payment of £17 cash or by debit card plus postage – your documents will be weighed and you will be charged accordingly
We will photocopy your passport, certify the photocopy and securely post it, together with your original supporting documents to the Home Office.
Read more about EPRS on the Gov.UK site