Newport City Council promotes LGBT (lesbian, gay, bi and transgender) rights.
If you or a family member or friend have questions about gender identity or are struggling with your sexual orientation there is support for you:
- Rainbow Newport - working to make Newport a friendlier city for the LGBT+ community
- Umbrella Cymru
- Unity - Unity LGBT Centre supports the wider LGBT community
- Stonewall Cymru - advice on how to support LGBT people at work
- Pride Cymru - the charity works for an end to discrimination
- Bi Cymru - the All-Wales network for people attracted to more than one gender and people who think they may be bi
- Wipe out Transphobia (WOT) - an international volunteer led project which aims to reduce and wipe out transphobia in society
- Rainbow Bridge – a victim support service for victims of domestic abuse who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender in Cardiff and the Vale.
- Terrence Higgins Trust - the largest voluntary sector provider of HIV and sexual health services in the UK, running services out of local centres across Great Britain
- LGBT helpline - information, advice and confidential support on issues faced by LGBT people their family and friends
- Flamingos LGBT+ - night club and social club in High Street, Newport
Welsh Government - Barriers faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in accessing domestic abuse, stalking and harassment, and sexual violence services
Age UK - Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender in later life
Office for National Statistics - Sexual identity, UK: 2015
Stonewall - glossary of terms
If you have any questions please contact Newport City Council and ask for the community connector team.