Benefits offered to Newport City Council employees include:
We have voluntarily chosen to pay the living wage, an hourly rate set independently and updated annually, as we believe it is good for all of us in Newport.
The current living wage is applied every April and, if applicable, is paid as a supplement.
We offer generous leave entitlement in addition to the statutory eight bank holidays per year.
Annual leave is calculated according to your length of service:
- up to 5 years continuous local government service: 25 days
- between 5 and 10 years continuous local government service: 29 days
- over 10 years continuous local government service: 32 days
Annual leave and bank holiday entitlements are calculated on a pro-rata basis for part-time employees.
The period of continuous service for statutory employment rights dates from the date of commencement of employment with us.
If an employee has previous continuous service with an organisation covered by the Redundancy Payments (Continuity of Employment in Local Government) Modification Order 1999 this will be included in calculating the entitlement to:
- redundancy payment
- annual leave
- occupational sickness scheme
- occupational maternity scheme
- maternity support scheme
- adoption leave
With the exception of redundancy entitlement, this will also apply if, before joining the council, the employee was made redundant from an organisation covered by the above Order within the last two years.
We will automatically enrol all new employees into one of two pension schemes:
The pension scheme will help you save for your retirement and provides benefits such as death in service cover, spouse's pension and ill-health retirement - we also contribute to your pension.
You have the right to opt out of the pension scheme if you do not wish to be a member.
Occupational sickness scheme
We have a sickness absence scheme and pay occupational sick pay as well as statutory sick pay.
Your entitlement will be based on your length of service:
- 1st year of service = one month’s full pay and (after completing four months service), two months half pay
- 2nd year of service = two months full pay and two months half pay
- 3rd year of service = four months full pay and four months half-pay
- 4th and 5th year of service = five months full pay and five months half pay
- after five years of service = six months full pay and six months half pay
26 weeks maternity pay with an additional 26 weeks unpaid leave and time to attend antenatal clinic.
We offer 26 weeks maternity pay with an additional 26 weeks unpaid leave and time to attend antenatal clinic - see our Family Friendly Policy (pdf).
We also offer shared parental leave (pdf).
Leave and payments are outlined in the maternity scheme in our Family Friendly Policy (pdf).
Work life balance
Supporting policies include maternity and paternity leave, time off for dependants, voluntary reduction in working hours, right to request to work flexibly, parental leave and job share.
Flexible working hours
We operate a flexible working hours scheme at many of our offices to enable employees to start and finish work at a time that suits them as long as service needs are covered and contracted hours are worked.
Management approval is required before flexi leave is taken.
The My Review process helps to link corporate aims to individual performance through the council’s key principles and objectives.
The scheme applies to all our employees with six months or more service, except teachers who have a separate scheme.
Training and development
Employee training and development is part of the council’s commitments to continuous improvement.
We offer a range of benefits for employees including:
- discount card – receive discount in stores throughout the UK
- My Rewards at NCC – our benefits website which includes online discounts and vouchers
- childcare vouchers (salary sacrifice) – a tax efficient way of paying for your childcare
- cycle to work (salary sacrifice) – make savings on a new bike and accessories
- car lease scheme (salary sacrifice) – a new car for fixed monthly amounts
- Discounted leisure facilities – corporate membership of Newport Live including unlimited use of fitness suites, swimming pools, fitness classes and health suite as well as a personalised training plan
Eligibility criteria will apply and terms and conditions are available on request.
Travel and subsistence
We aim to ensure that no employee is out of pocket while undertaking duties away from their normal place of work and pay travel and subsistence (pdf).
If an employee has to leave their normal fixed centre to undertake duties they can claim travelling expenses.
We hold the Corporate Health Standard silver award, the Welsh Government’s quality mark for workplace health promotion in Wales to demonstrate our commitment to health and wellbeing within the organisation.
We offer an employee assistance programme which gives employees free access to confidential advice and support 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Information and advice in relation to family, personal, debt or workplace issues can be gven by telephone or online.
A counselling service is also available.
We offer free eye tests at a range of opticians to any employee who uses display screen equipment as a significant part of their normal work.
Employees are able to attend free 1-2-1 health clinics to assess and discuss lifestyle habits, weight status, blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose levels.
We also offer advice and support about stopping smoking, healthy eating and physical activity and actively promote health and wellbeing within the organisation.