Help with childcare costs

Tax and benefit support can help to make childcare more affordable,

Local support such as assisted places or Helping Hands schemes may also be available. 

Email or call 0800 328 84 83 for advice and support. 

Tax credits

Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit can help families with children and working people on low incomes.

Childcare vouchers

Employer-supported salary sacrifice childcare vouchers can offer tax and National Insurance savings to parents who use eligible childcare. 

Universal credit 

Universal Credit is a benefit for people out of work or on a low income and replaces six income-based, work-related benefits including Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit. 

Tax-free childcare scheme 

The tax-free childcare scheme helps working families with the cost of childcare.  


If you are a students in higher education you may be able to claim a childcare grant if you qualify, read more on Student Finance Wales.

Students in further education studying in Wales may be able to claim help with the cost of childcare from the Financial Contingency Fund, ask for details at your college's student support office.

Parents, childcare and employment (PaCE)

Eligible parents who are out of work and have difficulty taking up training or employment because of childcare may be helped by the European Funded programme (PaCE)

Adults caring for a child under 12 

You may be entitled to receive National Insurance credits if you are a grandparent or other family member caring for a child under 12, usually while the parent or main carer is working.