Playschemes and clubs

February half term image(2)

October half-term playschemes

Monday 29 October – Friday 2 November

Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) registered provisions

All day from 10am – 3pm for children aged 5 – 12 years old.

All are subject to registration with CIW and available spaces may vary.



  Bettws Active Living Centre

 Bettws Lane, Bettws, Newport,     NP20 7YB

  Pill YMCA

 Mendalgief Road, Newport NP20 2HF

 Ringland Community Centre,     Flying Start

 Ringland Community Centre, 
 Newport, NP19 9PQ



Playschemes run during the February and October half-term holidays, at Easter and for four weeks of the school summer holidays.

They provide creative play opportunities run by play workers for children aged 5-12 years in a safe and stimulating environment.

Playschemes are child-led and give children the opportunity to control their play and challenge themselves to take emotional and physical risks in a safe environment. 

Parents and carers should complete a consent form on the child’s first visit to playscheme which is renewed annually. 

If your child has specific requirements please discuss this with the play development team below.

There are several types of playscheme:

  • CIW (Care Inspectorate Wales) - registered with CIW to provide play for children aged 5 to 12 years between 10am and 3pm.There is a maximum number of places which are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
  • Sessional - a maximum two hour session delivered in local communities for children aged 5 to 12 years
  • Outreach - a maximum two hour session delivered outdoors in open spaces in local communities in all weather conditions 
  • Specialist playscheme - runs during the summer holidays for children aged 5 to 18 years who have complex care needs on referral by a teacher, GP, occupational therapist, social worker etc

Play clubs

Play clubs run during term time for children aged 5 to 12 years. The open access, free sessions run for a maximum two hours at venues across the city.

Children may arrive and leave at any time during the paly club hours.

Parents and carers must complete a registration form before their child attends and are asked to tell their children not to leave without informing a playworker.

Play is child led, and children choose the activities they take part in, e.g. sports, arts and crafts, den building, messy play and risky play.

For more information email


  • Rivermead Centre, Rogerstone, 3.30pm - 4.30pm  (fortnightly)
  • Monnow Primary School, Bettws, 5.15pm - 6.15pm


  • St Woolos Primary School, 3.30pm - 4.30pm
  • Moorland Community Centre, 5.30pm - 6.30pm




  • Maesglas Community Centre, 3.30pm - 4.30pm
  • Gaer Community Centre (Friday Night Project), 6pm-8pm

Open access

Newport City Council playschemes are open access and children can choose what they want to play and who they want to play with.  

Children may arrive and leave the playscheme at any time during the published hours although parents are asked to instruct their child not to leave the site without telling a playworker.

Newport City Council does not accept any responsibility for the care, control and supervision of children travelling to the playscheme or play club, or after they have left the site. 

Should any child wish to leave playscheme during the day, they are required to sign in and out and ensure they notify a playworker of their departure.  

Families First play development

Supporting families through play

Play development is part of the 'confident and nurturing families' strand under Families First.

The aim is to support families through play, building resilience and positive relationships.

Play has positive benefits for children and adults improving emotional, social and physical wellbeing and can help with: 

  • Positive relationships - reinforcing positive responses to challenging behaviour, setting goals, positive praise and creating boundaries through play
  • Emotional and physical wellbeing - building relationships with siblings and parents, communication, engaging in play and undertaking daily activities, building confidence and resilience.
  • Social isolation - accessing daily services, interaction with peers outside the home, leaving the house regularly, using outdoor spaces
  • Community provision - exploring and engaging environments using play activities in their home, garden, local parks and provision.


For further information or if your child needs additional support to attend a play club email or contact Newport City Council and ask for the play development team.

TRA92977 25/10/2018