Corporate Parenting Pledge
Newport City Council has a duty to act as a good parent to all the children in our care and to those leaving care.
We want these young people to have the same outcomes that any good parent would want for their own children.
A Corporate Parenting Strategy (pdf) sets out the high standards which we aim to achieve as corporate parents and the actions we will take to do this.
You can also see the summary of our pledge outcomes in the Corporate Parenting Strategy Appendices (pdf)
A central part of this is our Pledge to children in care and care leavers.
We pledge to:
- Provide looked after children with good quality, stable placements where they feel safe, valued and cared for by excellent carers
- Ensure that looked after children achieve the best possible educational outcomes
- Improve the health outcomes of looked after children and provide them with appropriate health care and advice
- Support and encourage looked after children to enjoy a wide experience of leisure, cultural, sport and social activity to enable them to fulfil their potential
- Support looked after children and care leavers to prepare for the future and make positive choices for independent living, in order to become successful, fulfilled members of society.
The Corporate Parenting Forum monitors and evaluates progress against the action plan and ensures that corporate parenting remains a high priority.