Riding establishments

A licence is needed to run a riding school or an establishment which hires out horses or ponies for riding. 

Applicants must be over 18 years of age and there is a fee to be paid.

See the current animal health licence fees.

Riding schools are inspected each year by a veterinary surgeon chosen by the local authority who will inspect all horses, tack, stables and exercise area.

Any veterinary fees will be charged to the applicant in addition to the licence application fee.

Apply for a riding establishment licence

Read further guidance about running a riding establishment


Email trading.standards@newport.gov.uk or contact Newport City Council and ask for the trading standards team.