City of Democracy
Newport, once a city at the heart of the Chartist movement, should become a City of Democracy and host a democracy festival, according to a report.
The idea is backed by Newport City Council leader Councillor Debbie Wilcox and supporters from business, education and heritage organisations.
The recommendations from independent think-tank ResPublica include:
- Agreeing a branding strategy for the City of Democracy
- Measures to support co-op and mutual ownership for established and new local businesses
- Looking at putting the 'Newport Story' into the school curriculum
- Using Newport's citizen’s panel to trial new, collaborative digital democracy tools
- Participating in discussions around electoral reform
- Creating a Festival of Democracy, drawing on historic and modern contexts and generating debate
Download a summary of the report and recommendations (pdf)
Visit ResPublica to read the full report