Floating support


Floating support is the term used to describe support that is provided by support workers to people in their own homes.

Newport City Council and its partners offer a range of housing-related support services including for people experiencing domestic abuse, with memory loss or dementia, with learning disabilities, mental health issues and developmental disorders.

Examples of the support available include: 

  • Advice and support to claim benefits and manage debts
  • Advice and assistance with budgeting and managing bills
  • Help to deal with correspondence, forms and form filling
  • Advice on issues such as aids and adaptations and safety and security
  • Support to develop or re-learn daily living skills, such as cooking and cleaning
  • Assistance to contact relatives and agencies such as doctors or social workers
  • Support to access education, employment, voluntary work and training
  • Assistance with managing accommodation or applying for more suitable accommodation
  • Support to identify and participate in social, leisure and sport activities
  • Sign-posting to other services and agencies

There is no charge to service users for floating support services


The supporting people team takes referrals, including self-referrals, for a number of housing-related floating support services for people living in Newport.

Download a Floating support services referral form (Word document)

Download a Self-referral Floating Support services form (Word document)

Alternatively email floating.support@newport.gov.uk to request a form or for further information.