The Supporting People Programme in Newport funds housing-related support services and receives an annual grant of more than £6 million for this from the Welsh Government.
Housing-related support is provided to vulnerable people to help them develop and maintain skills and confidence to live as independently as possible.
Examples of the support available are:
- Advice and support to claim benefits and manage debts
- Advice and assistance with budgeting and managing bills
- Help to deal with correspondence, forms and form filling
- Advice on issues such as aids and adaptations and safety and security
- Support to develop or re-learn daily living skills, such as cooking and cleaning
- Assistance to contact relatives and agencies such as doctors or social workers
- Support to access education, employment, voluntary work and training
- Assistance with managing accommodation or applying for more suitable accommodation
- Support to identify and participate in social, leisure and sport activities
- Sign-posting to other services and agencies
The prevention of homelessness is at the core of all Supporting People funded services which are delivered in three ways:
1. Supported housing services
2. Floating support services
3. Community alarm services
Download the Supporting People allowable activities document (pdf) to learn more about housing-related support.
In Newport, Supporting People funding provides housing-related support services to over 4,000 vulnerable people at any one time.
Download the Newport Directory of Supporting People Services (pdf) for details of all Supporting People funded services.
People receiving housing-related support services may be experiencing a range of issues which affect their ability to maintain their accommodation and which they need help with.
Some housing-related support services are designed to support people with additional needs such as domestic abuse, mental health problems, alcohol or substance misuse and particular vulnerability due to their age.
Gwent Needs Mapping Exercise online
Download the Supporting People Local Commissioning Plan 2016-2019 (pdf)
Download the latest Gwent Supporting People newsletter (pdf)
Download the Supporting People allowable activities and definitions (pdf)
Download the Service User Involvement Plan (pdf)
View the September Welsh Government Supporting People Bulletin
Ask for the supporting people team at Newport City Council or email firstname.lastname@example.org