Key Dates

Key dates in the history of Newport

AD75

Roman military settlement established in Caerleon

AD864

St Woolos church founded by St Gwynllyn

1140

The first wooden castle is built on Stow Hill

1385

Newport is granted its first charter by Hugh, Earl of Stafford

1540

Newport Ship abandoned at site of later Moderator Wharf

1672

Tredegar House completed

1796

Opening of the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal

1810

Commercial Rd & Commercial St built by Sir Charles Morgan’s Tredegar Wharf Company

1839

Chartist uprising

1842

Town Dock opens - able to accommodate the largest ships in the world

1850

St Woolos Cemetery opens as the first public cemetery in the UK

1870

W H Davies, renowned poet born in Portland Street, Pillgwenlly

1877

Athletic grounds at Rodney Parade opens

1894

Belle Vue Park opens

1906

Transporter Bridge opens

1909

Disaster strikes during the construction of Alexander Dock - 39 men are killed

1937

King George VI visits Newport and cuts first sod of new Civic Centre building

1949

St Woolos Church achieves full cathedral status

1962

Spencer Works, Llanwern opens

1974

Tredegar House and 90 acres of parkland bought by the Council

1988

Newport hosts the National Eisteddfod for the second time

2000

Newport wins Wales in Bloom for the fourth time

2001

It is announced that Newport would be hosting golf’s 2010 Ryder Cup

2002

Newport awarded city status

2002

Newport Ship is discovered by construction workers at the site of the new Theatre and Arts Centre

2004

Newport hosts the National Eisteddfod at Tredegar House

2010

Newport hosts The 2010 Ryder Cup which the European team wins