Pillgwenlly regeneration project
This four-year programme has delivered regeneration in the Pillgwenlly area through environmental improvements, a business grants scheme and the creation of a community resource centre. g
Over the last four years, around £6 million has been spent in the area thanks to a programme led by Newport City Council with financial backing from the Welsh Government's European Regional Development Fund and the Targeted Match Fund.
One of the first projects to be completed was the redesign of Mariner's Green as part of the enhancement of the gateway between the city centre and Pill.
The re-landscaped area is now a fitting home for the Merchant Navy memorial and the VEVJ memorial which was relocated from Commercial Street.
A number of businesses used the business grants to carry out external renovations to their properties, giving them a revamp while retaining the look and feel of these traditional old buildings.
The Pillgwenlly Community Learning Academy is based in the former Pill library and now provides vocational training opportunities for local residents.
Three spectacular new artworks were commissioned and are now in place.
The History of the Port of Newport marks the centenary of the opening of the Great South Lock on 14 July 2014 and was made by pupils of Pillgwenlly Primary School, supported by Associated British Ports (ABP).
Newport City Council is working with the UK government to improve the availability and use of superfast and ultrafast broadband in Newport through the Superfast Britain project.
The Super Connected Cities project is part of the council's plans to improve access to internet based services across the city.
Read about Newport, Digital City
A £1 million project to refurbish the historic Newport Market was completed in 2013 with a new central entrance, new seating for shoppers and a striking monolith signposting the market on High Street.
The building dates back to 1864 though there has been a market in Newport for many hundreds of years.
It was owned by the Duke of Beaufort who sold it to the Newport Corporation in 1885 and it was extended at a cost of £42,000 to include the Upper Dock Street entrance which opened in 1899.
Read more about Newport Market.
New bus station
Newport’s bus terminus in Upper Dock Street opened in late 2013 and has nine bus bays with seating and waiting areas and real time passenger information.
The old bus station was demolished as part of the Friars Walk retail and leisure scheme which is home to a second linked terminus.
King William pub
An historic Newport city centre building is being turned into high quality flats thanks to a partnership between the owner and the city council.
Built in the 19th century and occupying a prominent position on the corner of Commercial Street and Kingsway, the former King William public house has been empty for several years.
Work is now under way to convert the building into flats with a high quality specification while preserving some of the original features.
Old Town Dock
Once derelict industrial land, Old Town Dock is one of Newport’s largest regeneration sites stretching along the riverside from George Street Bridge to the Southern Distributor Road’s City Bridge and around to the Maltings building.
New homes and a 20-hectare park, including a footpath, viewing areas and seating have been created.
Blakedown Landscapes Operations received a National Landscape Award for the project in September 2013.
Read more about these exciting Newport developments on the November 2014 presentation summary of city centre projects (pdf):