Newport City Council’s Trading Standards service enforces a wide range of consumer protection and fair trading laws controlling the advertising, marketing, production, distribution and supply of goods and services throughout the manufacturing, importation, distribution and service delivery chain.
Watch Newport Trading Standards in action on this short YouTube Trading Standards film (opens new website)
What do we do?
- check that descriptions on packaging and in adverts do not mislead
- check that food is not being sold past the use by date and that legal limits are met
- check that any goods, including toys, electrical goods, cosmetics, cars etc, new or second hand, are safe to use
- advise traders on what is permissible under the Consumer Credit Act. Read about and apply for a consumer credit licence (opens new website)
- investigate complaints that contract terms may be unfair
- check that age-restricted goods such as alcohol, 18 certificate DVDs, fireworks, tobacco, solvents, knives and spray paints are not sold to youngsters
- check that goods and services are properly priced
- make sure that weighing and measuring equipment used for trade is accurate, including beer glasses, weighbridges, supermarket scales or petrol pumps
- look out for goods that are counterfeit
- license premises wishing to store and sell fireworks and work with Gwent Police and the Fire Service to tackle the problem of fire work misuse
Download and view the Public Protection–wide Enforcement Policy (pdf)
Contact Citizens’ Advice Consumer Service on 08454 04 05 06 (Welsh speakers telephone 08454 04 05 05) or via the Citizens Advice Consumer Service (open new website) for advice about goods or services purchased or that you are thinking of buying.
Contact the Trading Standards service if you want to complain about an unfair business practice or wrong doing.
We also advise local businesses on the many fair trading laws with which they need to comply.
The TrustMark scheme (opens new website) is supported by the government, consumer groups and the building industry to help consumers find reputable firms.
ContactTrading Standards Service
Newport City Council
Newport NP20 4UR
Telephone: (01633) 656656