Street Naming & Numbering
What is street naming and numbering?
Street naming and numbering allows a unique identity to be assigned to a street and associated properties.
Why is it important?
Maintaining a consistent high standard for naming and numbering streets or naming properties is essential for:
- emergency services to find a property quickly – delays can cost lives and money
- mail to be delivered efficiently
- visitors to find where they want to go
- reliable delivery of services and products
- records of service providers to be kept in an effective manner
Who is responsible?
Newport City Council has a statutory responsibility to ensure that streets are named. The council has additional discretionary powers to assign a name or number to a property.
The Royal Mail has sole responsibility for assigning appropriate postcodes once new or amended address details have been confirmed by the council.
Once the street naming and numbering process is complete the council will provide confirmation of the full address including postcode of the property in question.
For further information contact the council’s Spatial Data Unit