Belle Vue Park opened in 1894 and has many features typical of a Victorian public park, including conservatories, pavilion, bandstand and rockeries. Following a successful bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Belle Vue Park restoration project set about restoring the park buildings and recreating the original planting scheme.
Watch the short YouTube film to find out more about the restoration of Belle Vue park (opens new website)
The newly restored pavilion, conservatory and bandstand are wonderful community spaces which can be hired for parties, meetings, talks etc.
Please get in touch using the online enquiry form.
Rare trees and shrubs
Belle Vue Park contains a number of rare specimens.
In early spring the Himalayan Magnolias produce huge goblet-shaped pink flowers and the branches of the Judas Trees can be seen covered with clusters of rose-lilac flowers in May.
In June and July the Tulip Tree produces its distinctive orange tulip-shaped flowers.
Autumn brings glorious leaf colour to many of the trees and shrubs including the clear yellow leaves of Ginko Biloba, one of only four deciduous conifers that can be seen growing in the British Isles today, and the glorious crimson leaves of the Liquidambar, a native of the eastern United States.
A history of Belle Vue Park
The land on which the park stands was a gift to the town from Lord Tredegar in 1891 to provide a public park for the people of Newport.
An open competition to design and construct the park was won by Thomas Mawson (1861-1933) of Windermere whose winning design was, in fact, designed for the neighbouring field, the site of the current Royal Gwent Hospital, after Mawson misunderstood directions on his first visit to the Newport.
The mistake wasn’t realised until the first site visit, after the contract had been awarded; Mawson had to quickly re-think some of his plans!
Belle Vue Park was Thomas Mawson’s first win in an open competition and he went on to become one of the foremost landscape architects of his time, responsible for the design of many gardens in his adopted Cumbria, including Holker Hall and Rydal Hall as well as Dyffryn Botanic Garden in Cardiff.
In November 1892 Lord Tredegar performed the ceremony of cutting the first sod; construction began and the Park opened on 8 September 1894. The final cost of the Park is recorded as £19,500.
The Cascade was a popular feature which was reinstated as part of the restoration of the park. The South Wales Argus published this report on the day the park opened:
" ....Special mention should be made of the very beautiful rock work of Messrs Pulham and Sons, of Broxbourne. There are a series of cascades, with two bridges of architectural design thrown across the stream, and when the ferns have established themselves, it will form a very delightful little dell”
Additional features were added including the Gorsedd Stone Circle in 1896 for the National Eisteddfod held in Belle Vue Park in 1897.
The bowling greens were opened in 1904 and a tea house added in 1910.
In 1924 the adjoining house and grounds of Belle Vue House came into the council’s ownership and the additional 11 acres of land were absorbed into the park, which now extends to 26 acres.
The restoration programme started in May 2003 and is now complete. Read more on the Belle Vue Park pages.
Belle Vue Park closes at dusk each evening and no person has consent to remain in the park overnight.
Gwent Police advise that remaining in the park overnight is deemed as trespass.
The park ranger will inform park users when the gates are about to be locked.
ContactParks Development Manager
Newport City Council
Telephone: (01633) 414630
Content ID: DevXP001665