Children and young people of all ages and backgrounds need to be fostered when it is not possible for them to remain with family members or friends.
The reasons for this may be:
• A breakdown in family relationships
• Parental health problems including substance misuse
• Families caring for a child with a disability needing a break
• Children have suffered from abuse, including neglect.
As a local authority, every child in care is our responsibility and we will always try to match their needs with a suitable family. We do try to place children in the area, but this is not always possible and there are occasions when we have to place children outside of the Newport area. By recruiting more foster carers, we will be able to place more children in the areas they are familiar with.
Who could you foster?
The children’s ages range from 0-18 years and as you can imagine, vary widely in their personalities and needs. We respect a child’s racial, religious, linguistic and cultural backgrounds when placing them with a foster family, as well as ensuring that their health and ability needs are met.
When you first enquire about fostering, we will discuss the age groups that you are able to foster, the sort of children/young people you can best support and over what period of time.
Why foster with your local authority?
We want to achieve the best possible outcomes for our looked after children by:
• Placing children with our own approved carers.
• Building strong relationships with our carers who have their own allocated fostering officer and access to a designated duty officer and out of hours support.
• Providing our carers with access to comprehensive training.
• Providing tailored support from in-house professionals where necessary, e.g. psychologist, play therapist, placement support, health and education.
Ready to take the next step?
Find out more about becoming part of the fostering process by completing our online Fostering enquiry form.
For further information on Fostering please view the fostering booklet using this link: Fostering for Newport, working together hand in hand. (pdf)