Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC)
Newport residents can take household rubbish for recycling, composting or, as a last resort, for burial in landfill at the Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC).
The HWRC is free to use for domestic customers only and residents may leave a maximum of 5 black bags a week in the landfill skips.
Docks Way, Maesglas, Newport, Gwent NP20 2NS (please do not use for sat nav)
Find the HWRC on My Newport maps.
The HWRC is located at the entrance of the landfill site on Docks Way.
Monday – Friday: 7.30am – 4.30pm
Saturday: 9.00am – 4.30pm
Sunday: 10.00am – 2.00pm
Bank Holidays – closed, apart from Good Friday (7.30am – 4.30pm)
Monday – Thursday: 7.30am – 3.30pm
Friday: 7.30am – 3.00pm
Saturday: 9.00am – 12pm
Closed Sundays and Bank Holidays, apart from Good Friday (7.30am – 3.00pm)
Last access is 15 minutes before closing time.
Recycling at HWRC
Read about items you can recycle at the HWRC.
To get the best use out of the HWRC and to make it safe for residents please take a look at the HWRC rules page.
No vehicles are allowed onto the site during the last 15 minutes before closing time so that people already using the site have enough time to unload.
Proof of residency within Newport may be required if site staff consider rubbish may have come from a commercial activity.
- Pre-sort your rubbish as far as possible because much of it can be recycled in one stop by using the different bins provided.
- Do not bring a van to dispose of any household waste or you may be classed as a commercial user and charged.
Vehicle height restriction
There is a fixed height barrier of 1.8.metres at the bottom of the approach ramp.
Another barrier of 1.8 metres is in place at the main gate at the following times:
- Monday-Thursday from 3.15pm
- Friday from 2.45pm
- Saturday from 11.45am and all day on Sunday
Use of the HWRC is restricted for vans/commercial vehicles.
Site health and safety
The HWRC is a busy site with traffic movements, loading and unloading activities so users should:
- Be aware of vehicle movements and/or people moving large items
- Ensure children and animals remain in the vehicle at all times
- Wear sensible clothing and footwear on the site
Bring banks in the city
You can take your recycling items to one of Newport’s bring banks.
View information about where bring banks are located around the city and what items you can recycle.